“Digitial Transformation” has become the buzz phrase du jour. Technology vendors, service providers, and government entities are all heavily investing in either providing transformative digital capabilities or consuming them. Either way, the goal is the same, to be one of the winners of the digital transformation wave that is pervading the industry.
This is not dissimilar from earlier waves of change, but this digital transformation is different in some fundamental ways from other trends that have both catalyzed and swept up industry. Here are 8 things to keep in mind as you navigate this “new” wave of innovation:
- Digital Transformation has been happening for about 50 years or so already, and everyone’s doing it.
- Things are accelerating, what you thought was the new transformation is the old transformation and the next transformation is actually several happening at the same time. (Is your head spinning yet?)
- Planning cycles, like budgeting, are collapsing from long-established annual norms to quarterly or even shorter to provide the agility required to keep up.
- Independent areas of technology are converging, creating new types of transformational capabilities.
- Transformation is never done. There is no destination, no done, transformation is an ongoing thing. Exhausting, yes, but exhilarating too. Back in the day, people used to say, “change is the only constant.” This is the same thing but using today’s favorite buzzwords.
- Automation and AI are going to change everything about your job, likely your entire industry, before you are ready, unless you are ready. Get ready.
- Connected hardware (what many call IoT) will become pervasive in our daily lives. Oh, and it’s going to be a part of the AI fabric that is behind much of our daily experiences in a ubiquitous digitally connected landscape.
- All of this creates an environment ripe for the next “killer app”. Will it be yours?